Sunday, August 12, 2007

Naruto Chapter 365: Chasing Itachi

**--Updated 8-26-07--**

Summary:
Team Hebi senses they are being tracked and decides to avoid confrontation to concentrate on finding Itachi. Karin and Juugo confuses Team Konoha by using birds to split up Sasuke's scent. In response, Naruto scatters his clones to look for Sasuke, only to have one of them encounter Itachi instead.

SnowyOwl Says:

Erm...Karin's starting to creep me out. Did anyone else feel 'raper' vibes? Maybe she bought perfume, but my first thought was that it was a sedative to take out Sasuke, or the other boys.

Rapage aside, I'm really enjoying Hebi's team dynamic. When it comes to their mission, they discuss, collaborate, and think in terms of each other's skills to form plans. I'm still surprised that Sasuke is so team oriented ("we move as Hebi") but maybe I shouldn't be, since he was the one who helped Team 7 pass the bell test. Team 7 just didn't do it for him.

- How did Hebi conclude that Leaf-nin were after them? (???) As far as Hebi knows, they are doing the pursuing; the confrontation with Deidara was the first indication that they were being pursued (and as far as Sasuke knows, it's because Dei had a personal vendetta against him, and not because the Akatsuki in general is interested in him)
- Major points for Sasuke and Kishimoto for the new shirt! Regretfully, I have to take those points back for failure to change his ridiculous pants and rope-belt. And for magical healing powers. Come on! Humph.
-I still don't get Juugo's bird powers. Is it innate? I don't think Juugo was ever trained as a ninja. Seems like he was just some dude who had crazy uncontrollable powers and then he got locked up.
-And worse. Map. Ever. They should use Google Maps.

[Not Hebi but still Uchiha]

Itachi is getting interesting. Thus far, he's just some non-emotive guy that half-heartedly collects jinchuuriki and looks at people and either scares them or pisses them off. Now we have enigmatic storm symbolism, odd reactions to news about Sasuke, and now a confrontation with Naruto.

Oh. You know that it wasn't a coincidence. And odds are, Itachi is interacting with a clone and knows it. If so, the purpose would be to divulge information, not to capture Naruto. What will you reveal Itachi-san?!? (Or it's a trap. Where's Kisame?)

I think what we know about Itachi is not entirely reliable, since the only information we have is through heresay and a 7-year-old's memories. I mean, has any adult said anything more than 'Itachi wiped out his clan?' Were there witnesses? Was their only source Sasuke? Yes, Itachi answered 'to measure my capacity' to Sasuke's 'why brother?' but can we trust Itachi to speak the truth? The only crimes we know for certain is that he Sharingan'd Sasuke and Kakashi; everything else is conjecture.

I'm not trying to redeem Itachi if he is a sociopath, but now with the complication of Tobi-the-Sharingan user, and suspicious I-know-more-than-I-let-on behavior, I think there is a really exciting possibility for a twist. Itachi seems really intelligent, which is why neither capacity-measuring nor world-domination seem to be his true motivation. Or maybe I just really, really want to believe Itachi is smarter and more complex (anything but world domination! That's so lame!)
To conclude: "There's no time to think!" That's so Naruto ^_^

Witherwing writes:

Again just a few quick notes since I seem to be once again a few weeks behind.

If you look on page 3 they really are traveling in a really big pack. I mean, in that one shot you can see 7 ninjas and 7 nin-dogs. I wonder why Karin was only able to sense one dog. What about Kakashi's dogs? Shouldn't they have more experience or somthing?

Gotta love Kiba: Shut up and let me concentrate!
Like yelling at Naruto isn't distracting.

Karin = creepy

Sasuke - Now that he have his fancy healing powers, that kinda puts Sasuke on the same level as Naruto. For the final fight, they'll be forever locked in combat.
There are two ways to interpret Sasuke's reaction to the leaf following them. He either doesn't want the leaf to get involved in his fight and in running away is protecting them or he doesn't think that they are worth his time and in running away is saving himself a lot of trouble. I think it's the latter since this is poopy-Sasuke we're dealing with here.

What's with the bird with the letter tied to it's leg perched above Naruto?

5 Comments:

At August 13, 2007 10:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

XD I agree: 'There's no time to think!' <-- So, SO Naruto.

Aww ... man, I LIKED the white shirt, actually. The butt-bow, not so much. And that was what he kept. >.> *is annoyed*

Oh, please Itachi, don't disappoint us like Kabuto! Be manipulative and interesting and screwed-up, and don't be focused on conquering the world! That would be so ... so ... disappointing!

Karin is a creepy sadistic stalker-rapist. But, ahahA! I went to my first anime convention EVER on Saturday, and saw a Karin-cosplayer! :) *is joyful* ... but there was no Juugo or Suigetsu, which weirded me out, because they're kind of more likable than Karin, you'd think ...

aha. Erm. Moving on ... Oh, and you forgot the 'what ... the ... shit' squished-by-door bit from Suigetsu. Which was pure love, of course. Team Hebi is so fun ...

Anyway, thanks for the happy-fun post! :) Looking forward to chapter 366.

~Candelabra

 
At August 13, 2007 11:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

taterbird: *continues to wave her "I Still Hate Sasuke No Matter How Cute He Looks While Injured" flag* For the record, no matter how annoyed I am to admit it, Sasuke couldn't really justify himself to Kakashi when he helped to pass the bell test- it was Sakura who solidified the team concept.

But you know, I could get to like his team. Except that Karin still manages to creep me right the hell out, while Juugo is clearly the ninja equivalent of St. Francis of Assisi. Naturally birds want to tell all their birdie little secrets to a guy that might kill one of them arbitrarily in a horrible way due to barometric changes. Plus, we'll all feel badly when he dies. (All of us girls will be like "Oh! He likes birdies! He has a sensitive soul! It isn't his fault he's an insatiable juggernaut of destruction out of his freakin' mind! Darn you, Kishimoto, for killing him off! *sniff*". I include myself in that. I'll be bummed too. After all, I fell for it. Twice. Gaara and Neji, anyone?)

Juugo's mystic communion with Snow White's singing birdies makes just about as much sense as Sasuke's "white snake" healing powers. If that snake was all that, then how come Orochimaru still lost his arms? Huh? Huh? What, do we have *soul* arms, as in "the techinque sucked out his soul meaning that his implausible magic power couldn't work"? If that stupid superpower works as a regenerative one, then Orochimaru should have been able to flip off the Third within a week. And if *Sasuke* figured it out, then Orochimaru, the legendary genius, DESERVES to be caught in the peanut buttery muck of Sasuke's mind. I refer you to my contention that Sasuke would be smart to use Naruto as Itachi-bait, you know, since Itachi's hooked him a Naruto. If the Dread Pirate's been tailing Naruto all along (and not told his team) I'd REALLY be impressed. But I'd still hate him. Way to gimp Naruto's demonic healing, Kishimoto.

You can't redeem Itachi, Snowy. If the threat of porcupines doesn't freak you out, I don't know what will. I am personally prepared to handle the redemption of only one Uchiha, and he has nautical fashion sense and a psycho team. Yes, even though I hate him, I want him redeemed because I like Naruto. As for Itachi, if he's that easy to manipulate the he's not interesting either. But if he tries to screw over the Superfriends, I'll hold out hope for him. But no redeeming. Besides, it would be really weird if Sasuke really DID want to kill his brother over the last Klondike bar. His justification would go right out the ninja window. But really, Snowy, why would you doubt Itachi's motivation up to this point? Intelligent people need a purpose and a challenge or they'll stagnate. I personally have no problem believing that he would join up with a group of nutcases taking on some seriously powerful demony goodness, for no other reason than intellectual exercise. (Which would be a Hannibal Lecter brand of SCARY CRAZY. And I'd like him for it, an unrepentant villain.) And world domination *is* lame, but an Uchiha Kaliedoscope Sharingan (a.k.a Complete Overkill Sharingan.) Party is even lamer. If they go all "You have realized your full potential, Grasshopper. You have done well. Now go blind." I'm going to be forced to assassinate Kishimoto with chalk. And flaming porcupines. And really long posts.

Besides, I can come up with a bunch of reasons why Itachi is neither as smart nor as scary as previously believed, but in no way would I claim that he isn't TEH EBIL. I'd really like to be proven wrong on the smart/scary assessment *makes pleading puppy eyes*. Here's hoping for a good plot twist.

Isn't "juggernaut" a cool word?

 
At August 24, 2007 2:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeee! As of 367 we *finally* know who Naruto's parents are!

I wanna know what you think!

:D

 
At August 24, 2007 3:51 PM , Blogger SnowyOwl said...

Dear anonymous,

What, what?!?

Er, I'll comment on tater and candle's comments later!

 
At September 01, 2007 1:32 PM , Blogger SnowyOwl said...

Late response (Blogger really isn't set up well for responding - maybe Mendokuse should migrate to another service?)

Taters, 'Juggernaut' is a cool word, and that was a juggernaut of a post!

And I think even white-snake magical powers are limited when the injury is due to a missing SOUL. Or Oro just likes whining to his medics instead of figuring it out himself.

Bring on those porcupines! I'll support redeemed Itachi if the truth - not subjective truth - (whenever that's revealed) is compelling enough. Itachi, please be an intelligent villain!

Candles: Congrats on your first convention! I went to one this summer and saw a Suigetsu. I nearly feel down with glee and unfortunately was only able to get a picture of his back.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home