Saturday, June 16, 2007

Naruto Chapter 357: Deidara vs. Sasuke

**Updated 6-25-07**

Summary:
It's revealed that Kabuto grafted part of Orochimaru's old body to his own and that the 'Orochimaru part' is taking over quickly. Kabuto tells Naruto that he is his target after he avenges Orochimaru. Sasuke holds his own against Deidara and Tobi, forcing Deidara to use his C2 explosives.

SnowyOwl Says: Some quick notes so I can go read the next chapter.

Kabuto is so useful! With his declaration to go after Sasuke, Naruto's mission suddenly has meaning again. Save Sasuke from Oro...er...Kabuchimaru instead of mindlessly trying to convince Sasuke to come home or whatever. So in Kabuto's record, he's gotten Team 7 through the 2nd chuunin exam, prevented Jiraiya and Tsunade from defeating Orochimaru, healed Sakura, told Team Kakashi (lead by Yamato) where Sasuke was, dropped off a book of Akatsuki info, and became the incarnation of Orochi to target Sasuke and Naruto. I wonder if he feels used as a plot device.

I thought it was Neji when I saw the Byakugan. Wishful thinking that he was there rather than Hinata I guess.

But loving the action of the DeiTobi/Sasuke side. I was struck by Deidara's comment about Sasuke: That Sasuke is not strong due to his own power, but by virtue of his heritage. I don't totally agree; while Sasuke's gift did grant him the potential to be much stronger than your average shinobi, he actually took advantage of that gift and pushed it as far as it will go (minus the Mangekyou). What does irk me about Sasuke (and Deidara brought this to light) is that Sasuke doesn't seem to acknowledge his hereditary gift as a gift and his arrogance stem from his solipsism.

And oh Tobi. So melodramtic! [falls to knees. NOOOOO! shakes fist in air] I love it. He was so distraught thinking Deidara was gone. Oh ye of little faith: Dei-sama is much too pretty to be killed so quickly. But I wish Kishimoto was a more creative with character design. Dei's art pieces have so much potential and Kishimoto just lets these design opportunities pass.

So...Tobi can be sliced in half and regenerate? He's also immortal? He has no body because a boulder crushed him as a young teen and he's really a floating head!?! And he's a lot taller than I thought next to Deidara.

Witherwing writes:

Just a few quick notes since I seem to have fallen behind once again. (But now that schools out, maybe I'll be more on time.)

Oh Kabuchimaru, Does anyone else thinks it's gross that he has somehow absorbed Orochi's flesh? skin cells? scabs? and that it is now trying to take over his body tuning him into the Thing from Fantastic Four? He doesn't seem too concerned that he's becoming all deformed and growth-ful. He seems to want to surpass Orochi but will his hero worshipping of his stop him? Maybe he's just trying to harbor Orochimaru in his body so that one day the dark lord will rise again. Quick find unicorn blood, Kabuto!
The way I see it, the flesh cells have to choose between Kabuto or Orochi and in the end I think that Kabuto will be like Kadaj from Advent Children. He can't win.

Hehe. Tobi cracks me up.

::sob sob:: He was a strict sempai, but still a good one.

I can't tell if he's just immature or hiding something more behind the jokes. Like Chichiri from Fushigi Yuugi. Maybe there's more to him behind the mask. A troubled past? A lost friendship *cou-kakashi-gh*?

note: Sasuke looks really cool in action.

Now we wait for 'that'.

3 Comments:

At June 17, 2007 7:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Tobi was *actually* cut in half there... Possibly some kind of Genjutsu.

We don't really know what he can do yet. Assuming he is Obito, he was kinda useless when he 'died', but he could've learned anything in the meantime.

Just based on the mask alone, I'd say he uses eye-contact based doujutsu. The orange of the mask draws your attention to the face, then the spirals force your eye to make contact with his. Simple.

 
At June 17, 2007 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I was sort of right! Kabuto DID use the pieces of (old? Even older? Creepy old and scary as all get out?) Orochimaru- he just didn't use the whole body. That's just as well. Who knows where it's BEEN? And now he's off, to do the generically unpleasant and malevolent things we all knew he was capable of, only this time, with crazy! I can't help but think that the Dread Pirate Sasuke will STILL be unimpressed with Naruto's renewed desire to save him from the nefarious Kabuichimaru. But then, "unimpressed" and "homicidal" seem to be his only two moods. Maybe Kabuto will prove himself to be smarter than a box of rocks and kill Sasuke while Team Tobito takes the beating. (I SO don't want to give up on him being smart.).
I still cheer for Hinata. But I also cheer wildly for Neji, since I was tricked into liking him. Darn deceitful Kishimoto and his appeals to sentiment. So I really don't care which one of them shows up. They're kinda interchangeable. As for Tobito's amazing abilities- you're right. He's eaten ceiling rock for the ever awesome Kakashi (and the slightly less awesome because she's mysteriously absent and therefore not quite as awesome but still awesome Rin). He's probably made of rubber now. The Gumbi Tobito. Of course, it would still be kinder to the original Obito to be dead. Poor guy couldn't fight without his lab safety goggles.
Wow, this one's even longer than usual. So I'll stop, but not before saying that I still don't like Sasuke and I hope Naruto saves him. That will REALLY annoy him. (It will be awhile before he's forgiven for nearly killing Naruto, Yamato, and Sai. He can kill Sakura. I don't care. In fact, I'd like him better if he did.)

 
At June 18, 2007 1:24 PM , Blogger SnowyOwl said...

Yo Nibbles. Wow, I think you're onto something here. I was too distracted by the Tobi = Obito idea to consider the functionality of the mask. But yes, eye-contact-based genjutsu now seems very likely.

And Taterbird? You still crack me up. I'm still holding out for Kabuto having something up his sleeves too, but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I'll put my hopes on Itachi.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home