Saturday, June 28, 2008

Naruto Chapter 406: The Key to the Future

Summary: Shikamaru seeks out people close to Jiraiya to crack the code he left. He also has a heart-to-heart with Naruto about dealing with loss and growing up.

Serenphoria Says:

This chapter was sweet. But first, two little criticisms:

1 - Girl with swirly glasses. Do not like. Reminds me too much of Karin and I have a general dislike of people who don't deserve Shika. Maybe if she was more like Nanao Ise of Bleach fame (pictured left), but this new girl is unkempt and seems sheltered (as in, holed up in the KIB*) and just uncool. Plus, she was unfortunately the person Kishi cast to make Shika look ignorant, which brings me to -

2 - Poor exposition delivery.
Kishi missed in his choice of through whom he'd tell the audience about the key to the code. Shikamaru should already know from his work experience (and intellect). The information should have been delivered a different way to keep things in character.

That said, I enjoyed:

1 - Kakashi's memory.
In the past, you got the sense that they had a mentor/mentee relationship, but colored by a stand-offish mutual respect. I think this is the first time we see evidence that not only were they closer, but had guys-being-guys moments. Sweet.

2 - Kakashi's concern for Naruto.
I'm actually quite pleased that Kakashi asked Shika to check in on Naruto. Not the moment my inner fangirl imagined, but very much in character. He cares, but he keeps an arm's length. Instead, he guides the young'uns to help each other grow. He's the invisible hand that, like Jiraiya, will never get his fair share of acknowledgment until much too late.

2. SHIKAMARU.
I won't quote everything, but basically everything he says from the hospital onward is gold. I love his dedication to Asuma's memory and how sweet he is to Kuranai. I love how he's grown to not be afraid of showing that he cares (he may still be laid back and practical, but not actively indifferent - if you can be such a thing). I love his maturity in recognizing they are the leaders now, they are the role-models, and they're the ones who have to step up and make their teachers proud.

And if Asuma had to die for anything plot-wise, it would be for this moment. To allow Shika to have already mourn and heal so that he can empathize with Naruto and help usher Naruto to the next stage of his development.

"Like Asuma and Jiraiya, I want to be as cool as them"

Shika, my dear, you already are.

Sidenote: There's speculation that the numbers correspond to something in Jiraiya's books. While I wouldn't be surprised if they were (pervert to the end) I think Kakashi would have been the one to recognize it (Naruto didn't really get into them). I'm hoping that'll it'll be something between the two of them and we'll finally get a little insight into what they were doing those 2.5 years.

6/29 Edit: I found it interesting that 3 new characters got names (Oyone, Umador, Shiho). Since Kishi took the time to tell us, I expect they'll show up again, though not in a super meaningful way.

*Konoha Investigation Bureau

5 Comments:

At June 29, 2008 2:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I don't think swirly glasses girl is as annoying as Karin if only because she has a more hinata personality type (which is amusing because Karin is like old Sakura on crack), but I agree that someone like lovely lovely Nanao-chan~ would be a better match for Shika.

Heh, I liked how you think Jiraiya's going to say something deep or cryptic, only to find him staring at Tsunade's 'assets'.

Yeah, Kakashi hasn't been getting his dues lately. He hasn't even been the leader of his own team now a days (though Yamato's an awesome character. Gotta love that ghoul face XP) and he didn't even get to explain how he got Mangekyou either. Also, why do they refuse to animate Gaiden? It's so much better than fillers... and I want to hear Minato's voice <.<

Shika's certainly come a long way since we first met him during the chuunin exam and his conversation with Naruto shows that. I wonder if anyone else of the rookie nine have realized the positions they're now growing into.

I know some people are annoyed with Naruto's reaction to Kuranai, but I really like when such moments happen ('dobe moments' as I like to call them XP). It's so much fun to imagine him years later as the Hokage surrounded by dignitaries from all of the elemental countries in a serious meeting... and then he does something horribly inappropriate. The resulting fallout and the poor ANBU (preferably Sasuke) that has to clean up after him brings me much amusement.

I do think the key everyone's looking for is from Jiraiya's book, but not his infamous Icha Icha. Rather, it's the book in which Naruto got his name from, the very first Jiraiya made. It was also a part of the prophecy too, it seems...

 
At June 29, 2008 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@jedi

Why won't they give us Gaiden? Why?!?

-sigh-

I agree with you on Naruto's reaction. So in character. Things come out of his mouth before being filtered by his brain and even then, it's not like he's had much normal life experience to really recognize and understand something like pregnancy. I don't think we'll ever see it, but inappropriate moments as Hokage would be gold, only I see Sakura cleaning up the mess.

I've also heard the idea that the key is in his Naruto book. Only Naruto doesn't know about that book as far as we know. If he did, I think he would have followed up with 'why is my name the same as the main character?' which would lead to him knowing that Minato was his dad ... well, okay, maybe Jiraiya could have answered with 'your dad named you after the character,' but I can't imagine Naruto not following up with 'you knew my dad?.' Point is, I don't think Naruto knows about the book, but he does look like he knows the key to the code.

 
At June 29, 2008 3:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately the only time I can see them animating Gaiden is when Kakashi tells Naruto more about Minato. We all know it's gonna be flashback country from there on.

Glad to know that others agree with the greatness of 'dobe moments' :P I chose Sasuke because I like the idea that he eventually gains enough trust to hold such a high position, but more importantly I can't think of a better punishment for his defection than putting him on 'Hokage Watch' don't you agree? Sakura would be a more 'behind the scenes' person, on the other hand. Healing injuries, smoothing over ruffled feathers with a bit of smooth talking, and then beating Naruto into the ground behind closed doors (because killing your leader in front of would be allies and foes is generally a bad idea).

...I spend way to much time thinking about this kinda thing =_=

The importance of Naruto not knowing about the book never occurred to me D: Since Jiraiya kept thinking about his first book through out his fight I figured that had to be where the key was. Well there is the possibility (a billion to one) that Jiraiya already told Naruto who his parents where, though I do think Kishi is saving that till later...

 
At July 02, 2008 3:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost feel like Kishimoto is setting up Sakura and Shikamaru to become Naruto's advisers. They are probably the two people from his generation he needs the most around him. Shikamaru is almost like Iruka and Kakashi smushed together and Sakura could very well be a combination of Tsunade and Kushina.

I have a feeling Shiho is not a one time minor character. Kishi doesn't usually waste a design like that. And I like her since she is more of the Hinata type fangirl than the Karin/Ino type fangirl. I root and identify with those types and part of me wants to ship them. But I agree that Shika is way out of her league. I feel she is just there to spur Shikamaru on to Temari.

That said, she's cute and probably very pretty under those glasses though.

~ too lazy tp sign in.

 
At July 04, 2008 4:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This chapter left me with a single burning question: WHY THE HELL DOES THAT GIRL WEAR DECODER GLASSES OUT OF HER CEREAL BOX?

That is all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home