Thursday, June 19, 2008

Naruto Chapter 404: Falcon and Akatsuki

Summary: Naruto learns that Jiraiya had passed away. Madara reveals to Kisame that he's the Mizukage and solicits his help. Sasuke plots to target the elders of Konoha only. Madara proposes that Falcon work with the Akatsuki in return for a tailed beast.

Serenphoria Says:

[The passing of a giant]

Jiraiya-cha~an! It was endearing how fondly the frog sages spoke of Jiraiya. And it looks like we'll hear a little more about Jiraiya's mission/role and Naruto's role in the prophecy! Maybe this is the point where Naruto will start to grow up dealing with the death of someone really close to him and having to shoulder responsibility that is not self-imposed.

Didn't it seem like everyone but Naruto knew about Jiraiya? It might be because they were all afraid how hard the news would be for him, but I'd be a little pissed and that would upset me even more. Kishi avoided Naruto's face for the initial reaction. I think there's going to be a bit of a melt down soon.

[Water and distortion]

So Madara's been hiding out in plain sight as the Mizukage. There's something beyond fishy about Kishi still not revealing Madara/Tobi's face since we already know what Madara looked like via the flashbacks. I'm prepared for Madara to not be Madara at all and someone completely different and the whole story he told was (while most likely true to some extent) a diversion. Or there's a twist in Madara's appearance that actually means something to us. Meaning that if he does look different than we expect, he won't look like a random new person (because that's not very twisty) but familiar.

[The diabolical plan not so diabolical]

Okay, so I guess not doing it his brother's way is a good thing here: Sasuke will not be murdering Konohaians indiscriminately, just targeting the brass. I hope that doesn't include Tsunade - she had nothing to do with the Uchiha Decision.

I really don't know how to read his reaction to the Tailed Beast offer - he didn't seem particularly excited, since he's probably arrogant...er...confident enough that he can meet his objective without a bijuu. And did he ask about Naruto out of concern or calculation? (Sadly, I think it's a bit of both)

[A gap in time]

So seriously, what happened to Hebi and Kisame while the Uchiha boys were mentaling each other to death? Suigetsu was all ready to fight Kisame a year ago before the Uchiha fight started and now it looks like they never got a chance to play.

3 Comments:

At June 20, 2008 2:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust me, boys with swords the size of small continents will ALWAYS find a reason to wave them at each other. ALWAYS. At some point, Kisame and Sui will get to beat the snot out of eachother. But Kishimoto can't do that to us without forty-five pages of angsty and improbable back story leading up to three pages of actual plot. Besides, how could we decide between the awesomness of Kisame and/or Sui? We can't.

Soooo... I'm thinkin' Sasuke's a few members short of the Magnificent Seven (or Seven Samurai if you want to get all technical). Earth to Sasuke! How do you think they STAY the top brass? They are going to kick your ass! Argh, why does he even HAVE followers? They must be using him for purposes of their own, because he is a freakin' MORON. (And that would be sooo incredibly cool! Sasuke could be all "Karin, I thought you were my fangirl", and Karin could be all "pshaw, boy, it's been Sui for me all along. But now I have *insert what she REALLY wants here*, so I don't need you, you emo excuse for a pirate. Oh, and your pants are stupid." Wow, that Karin really knows how to kick a guy while he's down. Show no mercy for the stupid, Karin!) I hope he DOES go after Tsunade. She'll knock him into next week. It won't matter that he can see her fist coming when it connects and deflates his empty head. Better yet, I hope SAKURA gets him. Go, Sakura! Show him up!

A girl can dream, can't she?

Go Madara! Be creepy! Be spooky! Be absolutely MORE improable than you already are! Be a possessed Obito! Just don't give is sixty-five more pages of back story, or you'll get added to the list of Uchiha I hate.

 
At June 23, 2008 11:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Madara's been quite busy, huh? Leader of the Akatsuki and an entire Shinobi village to boot.

There was a moment when I suspected that Madara wasn't who he said he was, as well. Kakashi couldn't have been the only one to get his hands on an Uchiha eye after all and there's the fact that we've never seen his face. But, unlike Kakashi Madara seems to be able to keep the Sharingan on indefinitely and while I'm hesitant to take anything Itachi said at face value, he confirmed that he really is Madara... so I'll continue to believe that he's Uchiha Madara, unless it's proven otherwise.

The fact that Madara's the Mizukage says a lot about his character because we all know that the history of the Mist is pretty damn bleak. Could you imagine what Konoha would be like if Madara was made Hokage? Yeesh. Hashirama, however, is proving to be more and more awesome every time Madara brings him up. He had several of the tailed beasts under his thumb at once? Did everything he touch turn to gold too?

Damn it Sasuke! First you say 'crush Konoha' then you say 'kill only the top brass'! Damn Uchiha's and their dramatics *huff* Still, at least he's targeting only the ones he thinks wronged him. I don't know what to make of his reaction towards Naruto... I'd like to think there's some worry there and the fact that Madara's sending them after the other tailed beast says something I suppose...

Eh, this is probably nothing, but when I read an alternate translation of the last page it went like this:

Zetsu: But no one would ever reveal the truth about Itachi. Why did he bother?

Madara: Even if he took the truth to his grave, he was tormented by the idea that I might find Sasuke

Now, it might be because of the way they said this, but it got me thinking that the 'truth' Madara gave Sasuke is not the same truth Itachi feared would come out... It's probably nothing, but it would be interesting if that where the case. And since I'm on the subject of Madara and Itachi: did you notice that when Madara spoke of Itachi in front of Sasuke he sounded somewhat respectful, but when he's with anyone else he's mocking? Heh.

Remember the VotE conversation back in 402? I just read this awesome fic by Animeaddict666 called Promises and if the worst case scenario came to pass, I kinda hope it ends like this.

WARNING: This fic contains SADNESS. Reader discretion is advised.

I'll try to comment on your next post tomorrow, but for now, I sleep

 
At June 28, 2008 8:28 PM , Blogger serenphoria said...

@taters

Just getting to comments now, sorry. Do you even get notified?

Anywho, Kisame and Sui, I don't think they're capable of angst. Things may not go their way (like being locked up in a tube of water) but somehow they seem to be above it emotionally - as in, they don't seem like the type who would dwell and be all woe-is-me, but deal and keep moving on.

Yeah, I agree that Karin and Juugo are a bit on the moronic side for me. They stick with Sasuke because one's crushing and the other is a big puppy dog and Sasuke's a Kimimaro surrogate. Sui's just in it for the sword and has no actual ties. I bet he'll jet when there's nothing in it for him. (or stay because there's nothing better to do - I believe both)

@Jedi

Hm...I think you're right about the change in tone when Madara speaks about Itachi. Another piece of evidence (not that we need more) of Madara manipulating Sasuke.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home