Friday, June 20, 2008

Naruto Chapter 405: Left Behind

Summary: Naruto remembers and mourns Jiraiya's passing. Shikamaru is charged with decoding Jiraiya's message.

Serenphoria says:

Yup, meltdown. And blaming Tsunade...oh, sting! And refusing Iruka's ramen offer was an especially nice touch in expressing how much the news was affecting Naruto.

To be honest, I was actually a little annoyed at Iruka for butting in so soon. I mean, 'you can't be depressed forever'? It's only been a few hours. Let the boy mourn! As a reader, I wanted to spend a little more (real) time in that melancholy mood so I definitely felt the pacing was off here. Not enough respect for Jiraiya. And I love 'Ruka and all, but it was a little too predictable that he'd be the one to show up conveniently after a long hiatus to bring Naruto back up. I would have loved it if had been Kahashi since Jiraiya was also more or less his sensei and surrogate father.

Okay, I love that Shikamaru is back and all, but wasn't the message for Tsunade? Wasn't it suppose to be meaningful for her? Well, I guess she's a bit preoccupied at the moment.

A Tsunade flashback next?

4 Comments:

At June 20, 2008 7:32 PM , Blogger The Elephant said...

God, I like the way that you comment on these type of things. Really adds another dimention to reaing the story.
I honestly didn't think that Iruka butted in too early. Yeah, he was seriously depressed about the passing of his mentor, and I really don't think that the sadness of losing Jiraiya is ever going to leave him, but he needed a father figure to just put things into perspective, and to give the poor boy some level of comforting.

 
At June 24, 2008 11:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah the meltdown was expected, but I was surprised that Naruto turned down ramen :o Also I'm liking Iruka's unofficial update on how Naruto's viewed by the rest of Konoha these days.

I liked the fact that Iruka helped when he did, actually. I don't think he meant to stop Naruto from morning Jiraiya, but rather not to wallow in depression. As for Kakashi, he'll have his chance in the spotlight when Naruto's finally told about his parents, which I hope that happens soon.

It was nice to see Tsunade's reaction to Jiraiya's untimely demise there at the end (also I find it interesting that despite the 'Shinobi's aren't supposed to cry' thing, the majority of them seem to cry at least once). I'm hoping to see more flashbacks on Jiraiya, he was one of my favorite Naruto characters :< And I know this isn't exactly appropriate, but I'm kinda curious as to what Kakashi will read now <.<

Hmm, I'm curious as to what the 'key' will do for Naruto now that he has it. I'm guessing he'll eventually gain access to Kyuubi's Yin chakra and I wonder how it will affect him.

I know Yin doesn't mean evil and that this is so overdone that it hurts, but I'm hoping for the tried and true alter ego method.

Hey, hey I can hear your groaning through the computer screen, you know :<

Seriously, though, I wanna see Naruto's version of Hollowichi (my unofficial name for Ichigo's Hollow side :P) and I know that deep down inside you people want to see bizarro Naruto too!

Finally, Naruto will have to swallow the 'key' to store it won't he? Say hi to Kyuubi and Itachi-crow for me Frog-key-thing!

XP

 
At June 28, 2008 3:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd just like to say that if decoding the message involves looking up pages in Jiraya's books, I am going to laugh myself sick. Also, Young!Jiraya is awfully cute. You may take that however you wish (but I'll always deny I said it.).

 
At June 28, 2008 8:20 PM , Blogger serenphoria said...

@elephant

Hi and welcome! Thanks for contributing to this little community. I like Iruka, and what he did for Naruto was a good thing, don't get me wrong. I just like my boys angsting more *evil grin*

@Jedi

Yeah, the Tsunade breakdown was nice and cathartic. It's so heartbreaking to see her force herself to be strong in front of others.

And interesting that they are now looking for the 'key' to the code, and Naruto was left a 'key.' I wonder if it's the same thing. Man, he's starting a whole farm in his body isn't he?

'Hallowichi' eh? I use Hichigo, personally. I've also seen Shiroisaki, which I think is clever, but doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home