Monday, March 26, 2007

Naruto Chapter 346: The New Jutsu's Secret

Summary: Sasuke's doujutsu overcomes Orochimaru in the body-swap dimension as Kabuto watches in disbelief. Sasuke then releases Suigetsu from his watery prison to travel with him. In Konoha, an autopsy of Kukazu reveals that Naruto's Rasen-shuriken damages nerve-channels at the cellular level for both the user and the victim. Kakashi attempts to warn Naruto against using the technique, but Naruto interrupts him with the implication that he understands the consequences.

SnowyOwl Says:

Let's recap the highly anticipated, epic fight between Sasuke and Orochimaru, shall we?:




Yes, this story-altering battle came down to a staring contest (And I didn't even include Kabuto staring at the other two staring at each other). This anti-climactic battle is why I believe that we haven't seen the last of Orochimaru (read: denial). From a comic artist's standpoint, there's no way that he'd let a battle with such high action potential pass by. From a story standpoint, there's only one person that deserves to defeat Orochimaru, and that's Jiraiya. He's the only one at a level to give the Legendary Sannin closure. This viewpoint was heavily influenced by a fanfic I read. I'll link it when I find it again. The door is wide open: Orochimaru isn't "dead," but "taken-over," according to Kabuto's and Sasuke's conversation. All I have to say is, I'll forgive this turn of events as long as Sasuke goes Hichigo* later on.

On a completely unrelated note: isn't Sasuke pretty? It's been awhile.

I had a moment of panic where I thought they kept Raggedy Akatsuki alive. When I came to my senses, it dawned on me that someone had to carry that guy with his guts hanging out all the way back to Konoha. Ew.

Finally, I'm at a loss for what Kishimoto has in store for Naruto. So far, he's learned a lot of stuff that he's not allowed to use: four-tails, that jutsu Jiraiya warned him against**, and now the Rasen-shuriken he spent half a year (our time) learning. Let the boy do something already! Will it come down to him using these forbidden jutsu, everyone working to save him, and the thing that finally shakes Sasuke to his senses? We'll see.

Wait, last thought: was I the only one that for a split second thought OMG Kimimaro's alive!?

*Hichigo is how I refer to Hollow-Ichigo from Bleach, in which an evil spirit, like a second personality, possesses Ichigo from within.
**Chapter 251 (start of Rescue Gaara arc)

Witherwing writes:


Ah yes, the epic battle between pupil and master. It most definitely will lead to another battle for these reasons: 1) There was not actual fighting so clearly this 'battle' doesn't count. 2) Sasuke himself clarified that Orochimaru isn't dead. It's just that Sasuke has taken over which means that he can lose control as well. Maybe he'll pull a Gaara and never be able to sleep because as soon as he does, Orochimaru will take over and do evil things ... until Sasuke get's head-butted ... maybe not. I think it might be similar to Hichigo or Rogue*. 3) It just can't be the end because that would be very lame.

I don't think that Jiraiya has to be the one to defeat Orochi. Not having been influenced by the fanfiction that Snowyowl has, I never felt a close relationship between Jiraiya and Orochi. Maybe I just forgot the flashbacks but they seemed more like teammates than friends, and there was no other betrayal but the one to the country. But again, I state that I could have forgotten.

I totally thought that that was Kimimaro too. They were just trying to keep him preserved and alive or something. Did anyone else notice that the Waterboy seems to not only be able to breathe in water but also speak clearly? On second thought, maybe he was the water because otherwise, I don't see how he could get out of such a small crack. And notice that he and Sasuke are on first name basis given that there has been no error in translation.

Sidenote: He's still in sandals. How can you kick butt in shoes like this?

* Rogue from X-men got her flying and super strength from Ms Marvel who's consiousness was dormant in Rogue until she was strong enough to try to break out.

2 Comments:

At March 30, 2007 8:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

HE BLINKED! This has to be the most juvenile battle-for-incomplete-dominance EVER. It was a staring contest. Next week's epic battle- I Spy. Did anyone else think it was funny that Orochimaru got stared down covered in interdimensional peanut butter with his tongue sticking out? And ready to pop right up at the most inopportune time. Yeah, like everyone else, I see it coming a mile away. Hey, is that Orochimaru coming back, covered in his Gak? Would you put the tongue away, Orochi? Have some dignity, man.
Not that I'd mind if Sasuke got head-butted back into his senses. In fact, he could get crushed by a giant katana-wielding frog, and then knocked out with a flying right hook, and I'd cheer all the way! Frankly, I'd cheer even more if SAKURA killed Orochimaru. Then, FINALLY that girl would be good for something. Plus, Sasuke would really look like an idiot. Of course, if Orochimaru takes over, Sasuke will STILL look like an idiot, with his tongue hanging out and all. It's a win-win, really.

 
At March 30, 2007 8:49 PM , Blogger SnowyOwl said...

Hey taterbird! I was TOTALLY going to comment on the tongue (ridiculous and undignified - oh you're scary now, Orochi!) but I thought that would make too many pictures of him doing nothing in nether-mud. Thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home