Sunday, December 30, 2007

Naruto Chapter 384: Two Roads Diverge

Summary: Sasuke and Itachi fight with taijutsu and genjutsu. Throughout the fight, Sasuke says he has a question for Itachi.

SnowyOwl Says:

I haven't been this excited about a chapter in a while! The chapter didn't engage me at first because the taijutsu sequences were confusing and a bit mundane, but once the strategy kicked in it was an adrenaline rush to the finish. I'd like to see this animated to clear up what was going on at the start, and hear Sasuke cuss out his brother. Oh yes.

If you're a regular reader, you know I'm not a Sasuke fan, but I gotta give him props once again for looking cool and thinking ahead. First using the Chidori as the bait to get Itachi to jump and then striking the other Itachi when the first was revealed as an illusion. The first illusion readers could smell a mile away, but I feared Sasuke would fall for it again in the heat of the moment. Glad to see the boy can learn. And check out his crazy-face. There is absolutely no doubt or regret in his mission.

Now, the question is how many layers of illusions are there? It seems highly improbable that Kishimoto dragged out Jiraiya and Pain's confrontation over a month and the Uchiha confrontation, which he's been building up to since the beginning of the series, would end in one chapter. There will be at least a flashback (I hope) from Itachi's point of view.And I just wanted to comment on the intensity of the latter half of the chapter. The layout worked well, the content and execution of the panels were well chosen to enhance key moments - great use of sound effects and a feeling of suspended time in all the right places. And the dialogue: OMG. I almost want to see this live-action.

What's the question!?!

Witherwing writes:

Oh man! The second half of this chapter was CRAZY! I do have to admit that my favorite part was the non dialogue though. Let me recap some of the highlights:
Thwack
Swip
Grab
Swsh
Push
Tink
Fwish
Wobble
Squeeze
Sshooom
Slice
Yank
CRASH!

I hope that they're saying these thinks out loud as it happens.

I agree with Snowyowl. I don't think that the anticipated confrontation can be finished in one chapter. But then again, we all remember the Sasuke-Orochimaru fight. ::facepalm::

Now Sasuke will finally get to ask Itachi, "why do you have those funny marks under your eyes?"

4 Comments:

At January 03, 2008 9:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way it's over yet...

 
At January 09, 2008 3:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well, I got around to picking on the Uchihas- which is like shooting fish in a barrel. The only thing easier is picking on Sakura. I have to admit, they both got mad cool points from me for this chapter. They're still so far in the cool points hole that it would take a miracle- or possibly NASA- to bail them out, but every little bit helps.

But yeah, there is no way that this is over yet. There. Is. No. Way. Itachi pinned to the throne by mighty stabnation? Nuh-uh. Does Sasuke know that the Superfriends can use their little henchies to impersonate themselves? Because Naruto does. Sasuke's been had again (or maybe I'm just hoping- at least this time it'd be a more complicated "Gotcha!", meaning that the Dread Pirate got a bit smarter.). This is Uchiha ITACHI. Mr. I-wrote-the-sequel-to-Orochimaru's-book-on-how-to-be-psychotic. There is a trick. There is ALWAYS a trick.

The question? "Itachi, why did you constantly thump me on the head? It was annoying. You are annoying. Now die."

 
At January 12, 2008 7:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahaha. I love crazy-faced Sasuke.

Hmm... not sure I believe that itachi's really been hit yet... o.0

 
At January 20, 2008 4:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

New one is out! They're fighting in genjutsu.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home